28 April - 1 May
It gives us great pleasure to invite you to the workshop.
PRIME (Patients and Research Interconnecting MEdicine) international meeting is a joint educational initiative between Profil Institute for Metabolic Research (Neuss, Germany), the Society for Diabetic Neuropathy (Romania), Wörwag Pharma GmbH&Co.KG, through the Representative Offices from Romania and the German-Romania Association for the Study of Diabetes Complications (Romania).
The aim of this workshop is to introduce physicians to the field of clinical research in diabetes and to highlight how tight research and patient’s care are interconnected by presenting a German experience of collaboration between research facilities, outpatients and inpatients care units.
The workshop will have an interactive character and should allow for a friendly exchange between German, Romanian and Ukrainian physicians as a basis for developing future collaborations.
The workshop participants will be able to visit Profil Institute for Metabolic Research; further an outpatient unit specialized in the treatment of patients with diabetes, diabetes complications and diabetic foot syndrome, as wellas a diabetes unit belonging to the Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf. Here the focus will be on the diagnostic and treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
All referents will do their very best to offer you an informative, enjoyable and, above all, stimulating educational experience.
We look forward welcoming you to the workshop and to fruitful, challenging sessions.
Dr. Alin Stirban
Director Endocrinology and Diabetes Complications
Profil Institute for Metabolic Research, Germany
Prof. Dr. Amorin Popa
President of the Society for
Diabetic Neuropathy, Romania
Dr. Norina Gavan
Worwag Pharma GmbH&Co.KG, Romania
PRIME 2013 – Final Program
Sunday – April 28 2013
Travel of the participants to Neuss/Düsseldorf as arranged by Wörwag Pharma GmbH&Co.KG, Romanian Representative Office. Transportation from the airport will be organized for the group by Profil and communicated by email to each individual participant. If you travel alone, please take a taxi at the arrival airport, the costs will be reimbursed.
Check-in at Novotel Düsseldorf, Neuss, Am Rosengarten.
The afternoon/evening is at the participant‘s own disposal.
From 18:00 onwards there will be a „Get together“ reception and dinner buffet at the restaurant
|Monday – April 29 2013
||Meeting in the hotel lobby and bus transfer to German Diabetes Center (DDZ), at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
||Welcome Introduction of the participants, scope of the workshop
|Session 1 – Setting the agenda
chaired by Dr. Alin Stirban
|09:15 - 10:15
||Start of the course at DDZ, meeting with Prof. Dan Ziegler, scientific presentation
|10:15 - 10:30
|10:30 - 12:30
||Demonstration of investigational methods for the diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy: clinical investigation, quantitative sensory testing, nerve conduction velocity, skin biopsy, corneal investigations, investigations for the diagnosis of diabetic autonomic neuropathy, etc.
|12:30 - 13.30
||Lunch at DDZ
|13.30 - 14.30
||Transfer to the Outpatient Units (Unit in Essen for Romanian Physicians: Dres. Schulze- Schleppinghoff und Zeller-Stefan –presentation in Romanian;
Unit in Düsseldorf: Dr. med. Jolanda Schottenfeld) presentation in English
|14.30 - 16.30
Presentation of the Unit, following topics will be covered:
- Structure of the Health care system (HCS) in Germany.
- Governmental and private sector in the HCS.
- Outpatient reimbursement system in Germany especially for Diabetes: a case presentation.
- Standards of treatment and duration.
- Rules for hospitalization and treatment in an outpatient clinic.
- Diabetes statistics in Germany; Screening for diabetes and Diabetic complications.
- Treatment of patients with the diabetic foot syndrome: outpatient and inpatient.
If you like, meet the other delegates in the evening. From 18:00 onwards there will be a „Get together“ reception and dinner at the restaurant.
|Tuesday – April 30 2013
||Meeting in the hotel lobby and transfer/walk to Profil
||Welcome (Dr. Tim Heise, CEO Profil/Dr. Alin Stirban, Profil) Introduction of Profil
|Session 1 – Setting the agenda
chaired by Dr. Tim Heise; language: English
|09:15 - 10:00
||Development of anti-diabetic drugs: A case story : Preclinical findings and translation of these findings into a clinical profile. The “clamp” procedure.
Dr. Tim Heise
|10:00 - 10:30
||Choosing the right trial designs: Parallel, crossover, retrospective, prospective allocation, concealment, surrogate vs. outcome trials
Dr. Leona Plum
|10:30 - 11:00
|Session 2 – The study outline
chaired by Dr. Alin Stirban; language: English
|11:00 - 11:30
||Endpoints and biomarkers in clinical diabetes research
Prof. Freimut Schliess
|11.30 - 12:00
||Importance of nutrition for clinical research
PD Martina Heer
|12:30 - 13:30
|13:30 - 14:30
||Visit of the facilities at Profil (explanations in Romanian and Russian)
|14:30 - 15:00
||Non-invasive investigations of vascular function: theory
|15:00 - 15:30
|15:30 - 16:30
||Non-invasive investigations of vascular function: practical demonstration of measurements of flow mediated dilatation (ultrasound and laser-doppler).
Dr. Alin Stirban
||Program at your free disposal.
If you like, meet the other delegates in the evening. From 19:00 onwards there will be a „Get together“ reception and dinner at the restaurant.
Wednesday – May 01 2013
Departure of delegates. Transfer to Düsseldorf airport and/or individual travel home according to the schedule arranged by Profil and Pharm. Dr. Rodica Muresan, product manager in Wörwag Pharma GmbH&Co.KG, Romania.
Venue and organizers
The PRIME 2013 will be hosted by the Profil Institute for Metabolic Research, Neuss, Germany. Dr. Alin Stirban is responsible for organizing the meeting.
Covering a number of current research techniques, the PRIME 2013 program will offer a hands-on, practical approach.
These meeting is designed to offer participants a practical and comprehensive view of several current aspects of basic and clinical research in the field of diabetes and diabetic neuropathy, with the goal of applying and transferring this newly acquired knowledge to their respective home institutions.
The applicants are young physicians (resident or specialist) with activity focused on diabetes and diabetic neuropathy/diabetic foot syndrome.
Very good English knowledge is a prerequisite.
Cost of PRIME 2013
All selected participants are asked to pay their transport to Bucharest/Cluj/Iasi airport. All other costs including travel, accommodation in double rooms, participation at the workshop and meals, will be covered by Worwag Pharma GmbH&Co. KG, Romanian Representative Office, the official sponsor of the PRIME 2013. For this reason, all the participants will sign a sponsor contract before departure.
After returning home, all participants are required to write a report about and give an evaluation of the content of the PRIME 2013. The deadline will be May 30th 2013.
The attendance of the training program is obligatory. In respect to the organization committee, we kindly ask you to be in time at all the activities organized during PRIME 2013.
The number of places is restricted to 12.
Accommodation is arranged to the:
Dorint Kongresshotel, Düsseldorf Neuss
Selikumer Strasse 25
The selected participants
- Dr. Grasa Monica, Constanta
- Dr. Reurean Pintilei Delia Viola, Iasi
- Dr. Gall Ingrid Georgiana, Iasi
- Dr. Bujor Oancea Diana, Iasi
- Dr. Ciobanu Dana Mihaela, Cluj-Napoca
- Dr. Gligor Madalina Adriana, Cluj-Napoca
- Dr. Popa Loredana Madalina, Oradea
- Dr. Dale Gabriela Florina, Oradea
- Dr. Arhire Lidia Iuliana, Iasi
- Dr. Morosanu Andreea, Galati
- Dr. Mihalcea Madalina Mihaela, Ploiesti
- Dr. Rusu Emilia, Bucuresti
- Dr. Farm. Muresan Rodica, Worwag Pharma
A Unique Combination of Science and Clinical Research
Profil Institute for Metabolic Research (Profil®) is a privately owned and independent CRO with key competency in ICH-GCP-compliant early phase clinical experimental trials in diabetes. Our aim is to provide reliable answers and solutions for the life of people with diabetes.
- Profil was founded in 1999 under the leadership of Prof. Lutz Heinemann and Dr. Tim Heise, along with a group of clinical researchers from the Department of Metabolism and Nutrition at Heinrich-Heine University of Düsseldorf, Germany
- Profil combines long-standing scientific experience with the top CRO standards. The results of trials conducted by Profil have been pivotal in the clinical development of up to date therapies and diagnostic tools for diabetes. This is documented by more than 360 peer-reviewed manuscripts and regular advice to authorities, e.g. the FDA and EMEA
- Services by Profil cover scientific consultation, protocol development, regulatory filing, GMP-conform production of study medication, data management, statistics, medical reporting and scientific publication of trial results in the fields of diabetes, cardiometabolic disorders and nutritional health
- One core competence of Profil is the assessment of the glucodynamic activity of compounds by performing Biostator®-based automated glucose clamp experiments. The Profil team of 200 employees performs approximately 2,000 clamps and 10,000 in-house PK study days per year
- Profil provides fast and reliable results, supporting the customers milestone planning. Timely performance is safeguarded by a database of more than 20,000 active subjects, which can be searched for individual subject characteristics, including medical history, laboratory values and concomitant medication
Know How in Diabetes
Profil has long-standing experience with clinical science in the field of diabetes. We combine the careful and critical diligence of independent academic science with top standards of industrial research. Profil contributes widely to scientific presentations and publications at international scientific meetings and in international peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Facts and Figures
- Performance of more than 270 in-house trials (> 232 phase I and II trials) in people with diabetes, including more than 50 in people with type 1 diabetes
- Publication of more than 360 peer-reviewed scientific papers and reviews (cumulated impact factor > 1000) and more than 500 abstracts at scientific conferences; more than 380 oral presentations at national and international meetings
- Profil scientists have been involved in scientific discussions with authorities, e.g. as consultants in FDA advisory board meetings or at EMEA scientific advice hearings
- Profil scientists are members of scientific advisory boards and academic study groups
At Profil an interdisciplinary team of scientists builds up a “think tank” dedicated to performing high quality clinical and experimental research. We enjoy taking fresh challenges and offering both pragmatic as well as sophisticated state of the art solutions to our sponsors.
Dr. Tim Heise
has a long-standing background in both clinical research and clinical care in diabetes and obesity. He has published far more than 100 scientific papers and reviews with a focus on the pharmacology of antidiabetic drugs. Dr Heise is member of the Editorial Board of Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. He has a strong interest in evidence-based medicine.
Prof. Dr. Freimut Schliess
is a biochemist with longstanding scientific activities in the fields of Experimental Hepatology and Molecular Medicine. At Profil he is the Head of the Scientific Affairs Department and contributes scientific and methodological input to the design and evaluation of clinical trials.
The Nutritional Sciences department of Profil, headed by Dr. Martina Heer, designs and performs studies with day-by-day highly standardised, constant nutrient intake (metabolic balance studies). This helps to reduce variability e.g. in postprandial blood glucose, thereby minimising sample sizes. Investigations of drug and food effects on metabolism also benefit from standardized nutrient intake since any nutritional impact on study outcome parameters can be excluded. This is of particular importance when providing scientific evidence for potential health claims of new food products.
The metabolic balance studies will be supported by additional methods for the assessment of body composition using air displacement phlethysmography and/or determination of energy expenditure through indirect calorimetry.
Facts and Figures
- Metabolic balance studies with individually tailored and constant day-by-day nutrient intake
- Highly standardised clinical trials to achieve scientific evidence for health claims (functional food products, dietary supplements)
- Investigation of drug and food effects on muscle, liver and bone turnover in line with GCP
- Quantification of nutrient intake, body composition and energy expenditure (indirect calorimetry)
- Estimation of glycaemic index
- Standardization of nutrient intake to different degrees in order to reduce variability and thereby sample size and to reliably assess markers (e.g of bone turnover and insulin sensitivity) easily confounded by variable nutrient intake
Dr. med. Ovidiu Alin Ştirban
Himmelgeister Landstrasse 174, 40589 Düsseldorf, Tel. +49 (0) 2131 4018 486
Born in 1974 in Cluj Napoca, Romania, graduated in 1999, the Faculty of Medicine at the „Iuliu Hatieganu“ University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. In 2008, he took his PhD degree at the Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf, having as Coordinator Prof. Dr. med. Dan Ziegler
He is certified Specialist for Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Diabetology.
During his Career he worked as Physician at Klinikum Bielefeld Mitte, Department for Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Diabetology (Director: PD Dr. med. J. Feldkamp), Physician and Coordinator of Clinical Research, Diabetes Clinic at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW, Bad Oeynhausen (Director Prof. Dr. med. D. Tschöpe), Physician, Cardiology Clinic Heart and Diabetes Center NRW, Bad Oeynhausen (Director Prof. Dr. med. D. Horstkotte), Physician and Coordinator of Vascular Research, Diabetes Clinic at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW, Bad Oeynhausen (Director Prof. Dr. med. D. Tschöpe), Physician and Coordinator of Vascular Research German Diabetes Center Duesseldorf, (Director Prof. Dr. med. W.A. Scherbaum).
Since 2011 Dr.Stirban is working in Profil Insitute for Metabolic Research GmbH, Neuss as Director Endocrinology; is teaching at the Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf and is working in Diabetes Outpatient Unit Dr. Schulze-Schleppinghoff und Zeller, Essen.
His research area of interest is in Endothelial dysfunction (Macro- and Microcirculation), Cardiovascular effects of food and therapeutic approaches, In vivo effects of Advanced Glycation End Products, Diabetic Neuropathy (1999-2003 study group Prof. Dan Ziegler, Düsseldorf), Diabetic Nephropathy
Further positions in his career are: funding member of the Romanian Society for Neuropathy, Board member of the Neuropathy Working Group of the German Diabetes Association (DDG), Co- Editor in chief of the “Diabetes Journal” (Journal in Romanian for patients with diabetes and diabetes educators). Publishing house: Kirchheim, Mainz, Germany, Co- Editor in chief of the “Diabet, Nutritie, Risc Cardiometabolic- Diabetes, Metabolism and the Heart” (Romanian Journal for diabetologists and cardiologists). Publishing house: Kirchheim, Mainz, Germany, Member of the Scientifc Board of the
„Gesellschaft für Biofaktoren e.V.“, Member of the board of directors of the Federation of International Danube-Symposia for Diabetes mellitus The Central-European Association (www.fid.at), Editor in chief of a website for medical professionals (bilingual: German-Romanian): www.drdv.de, President of the German-Romanian Association for the Study of Diabetes Complications.
He published 21 articles in international medical journals (Diabetes Care, Diabetes, Stoffwechsel und Herz, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Int J Clin Pract., Diabetes Technol Ther., Thromb Res., Ann N Y Acad Sci., Mt Sinai J Med., Horm Metab Res., Diabetes Metabolism Research and Reviews, Drugs Today (Barc), Hyperbaric Undersea Medicine, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition., Herz, International Journal of Vascular Medicine, Journal of Men's Health., Treatment Strategies Diabetes.
He contributed chapters in more than 6 internationally published books.
He is a reviewier for:
- “Diabetic Medicine”
- “Diabetologia” (EASD)
- “Hormone and Metabolic Research”
- “Wiener klinische Wochenschrift”
- “Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes”
- “Molecular Nutrition and Food Research“
- “Diabetes, Technology and Therapeutics”
- “European Journal of Nutrition”
- “Diabetes, Stoffwechsel und Herz”
- “Acta Diabetologica”
Prof. Dr. med. Dan Ziegler, MD, FRCPE
Institute for Clinical Diabetology
German Diabetes Center at the Heinrich Heine University Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research
Auf'm Hennekamp 65, 40225 Düsseldorf
Department Metabolic Diseases
University Hospital, Moorenstr. 5, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
Tel: +49-211-33820; Fax: +49-211-3382244
Born in 1957, he graduated the Medical School at the University of Heidelberg and he took his Doctoral thesis at the University of Heidelberg. From 1990 he is Specialization in Internal Medicine, Qualification as a lecturer in Internal Medicine ("Habilitation") at the Heinrich Heine University of Düsseldorf: "Diabetic neuropathy: characterization, early diagnosis, natural history, metabolic factors, and effects of pathogenetically oriented intervention", Specialization in Diabetology (Diabetologe DDG), Appointment as Professsor of Internal Medicine at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Recognition of quality in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism by the European Board of Endocrinology of the U.E.M.S., Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (FRCP Edin), Specialization in Endocrinology
As Professional trainings he is: Registrar at the Clinical Department of the German Diabetes Research Institute, Leibniz Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Registrar at the Department of Internal Medicine of the Ferdinand-Sauerbruch-Klinikum, Wuppertal-Elberfeld, Senior registrar at the Clinical Department of the German Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Senior registrar at the Department of Nephrology, University Hospital, Heinrich-Heine- University, Düsseldorf, Senior registrar at the Clinical Department of the German Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Consultant physician at the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology, University Hospital, Heinrich-Heine-University, Düsseldorf, Consultant physician at the German Diabetes Clinic of the German Diabetes Center and professor of Internal Medicine at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Research group leader, Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf. From 2009, he is Deputy director, senior consultant physician, research group leader, and professor of Internal Medicine; Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at the Heinrich Heine University and Department of Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Germany
His Areas of interest are Pathophysiology, pathology, diagnosis, screening, prevention, and treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy, neuropathic pain, cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy, gastrointestinal motility, and erectile dysfunction; design of clinical trials.
He is nominated as principal investigator of numerous clinical trials in diabetic neuropathy
Scientific awards: Jühling Prize of the Anna Wunderlich-Ernst Jühling-Stiftung; Düsseldorf, December 1994, Ferdinand Bertram Prize of the German Diabetes Association (DDG); Basel, May 1996 Camillo Golgi Prize of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD); Stockholm, September 2010
Chairmanship of scientific meetings:
- Chairman of the 11th Annual Meeting of the Diabetic Neuropathy
- Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB XI), Aberdeen, UK, 07.-09.09.2001
- Chairman of the 12th Annual Meeting of the Diabetic Neuropathy Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB XII), Balatonfüred, Hungary, 29.-31.08.2002
- Chairman of the 6th Diabetic Neuropathy Satellite Symposium to the 18th International Diabetes Federation Congress in conjunction with the 13th Annual Meeting of the Diabetic Neuropathy Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB XIII), Saint Malo, France, 30.08.02.09.2003
- More than 250 original articles, reviews, and book chapters Guest Editor of Diabetes, Vol. 46, Supplement 2, 1997 (Chronic Complications) Editor of a Textbook of Diabetic Neuropathy, 2003 (publisher: Thieme International) Editor of “Diabetes und Herz”, 2005 (publisher: Steinkopff)
- Coauthor of the Consensus Report of the Peripheral Nerve Society: Diabetic Polyneuropathy in Controlled Clinical Trials (Ann Neurol, 1995)
- Coauthor of an Ad Hoc Panel on Endpoints for Diabetic Neuropathy Trials: Positive neuropathic sensory symptoms as endpoints in diabetic neuropathy trials (J Neurol Sci 2001)
- Reviewer for scientific journals in the field of diabetic neuropathy and neuropathic pain (e.g. Diabetes, Diabetes Care, Diabetologia, Diabetic Med, Lancet)
Membership in authorized expert panels for clinical guidelines:
- Coauthor of a Position Statement on Diabetic Neuropathies of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) (Diabetes Care 2005)
- Expert panel authorized by the German Diabetes Association (DDG) on evidence based guidelines and clinical practice guidelines for diabetic sensorimotor and autonomic neuropathies
- Expert panel authorized by the Agency for Quality in Medicine (ÄZQ) on the National Disease
- Management Guidelines Diabetes mellitus and Neuropathy (NVL)
- Expert panel authorized by the German Association for the Study of Pain (DGSS) on the long-term use of opioids in non-tumor caused pain (LONTS)
- Expert panel authorized by the German Society for Neurology (DGN) on the treatment of neuropathic pain
- Initiative on Methods, Measurement, and Pain Assessment in Clinical Trials (IMMPACT) on prevention of neuropathic pain
- Toronto Consensus on Diabetic Neuropathy (2010)
- NeuPSIG Consensus Group on Quantitative Sensory Testing (2011)
Membership in scientific committees
- Expert member in the Focussed Sub-Group on Microvascular Complications of the Road Map for Diabetes Research in Europe (DIAMAP) initiated by the Alliance for European Diabetes Research (EURADIA) since 2010
- Chairman of the Diabetic Neuropathy Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB) 2000-2003
- Vice Chairman of the Diabetic Neuropathy Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB) 1997-1999
- Executive Committee of NEURODIAB 1997-2003
- Executive Committee of NEURODIAB since 2009
- Executive Committee of the Working Group Diabetes and Nervous System of the German Diabetes
- Association (DDG) since 1996
- Chairman of the working group Diabetes and Nervous System of the German Diabetes Association (DDG) since 2004
- Scientific Board of the Information Centre for Sexuality and Health (Freiburg, Germany) since 1999
- Executive Committee of the Working Group Diabetes and Autonomic Nervous System of the German
- Neurological Association (DGN) since 2004
- Associate Editor of Diabetic Medicine; official journal of the British Diabetic Association (BDA) 2000-2004
- Editorial board of Diabetes und Stoffwechsel (official journal of the German Diabetes Association (DDG) 1997-2000
Board of Review Editors of International Diabetes Monitor since 2002
- Editorial Board of Clinical Autonomic Research; official journal of the AAS, CARS, and EFAS since 2002
- Editorial Board of Der Diabetologe since 2005
- Editorial Board of Diabetes Science and Technology since 2008
- Editorial Board of Experimental Diabetes Research since 2008
- Editorial board of Open Diabetes Journal since 2008
- Editorial Board of Endocrine since 2010
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) Diabetic Neuropathy Study Group of the EASD (NEURODIAB) German Diabetes Association (DDG)
- European Society for Sexual Medicine (ESSM) International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) European Federation of Autonomic Societies (EFAS) Working Group Diabetes and Nervous System of the DDG
- Working group Autonomic Nervous System of the German Society of Neurology
- NRW Society for Endocrinology and Diabetology
- NRW Society for Internal Medicine
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (FRCPE since 22.10.2003)
- Argentinian Diabetes Association (Sociedad Argentina de Diabetes)
- Hungarian Diabetes Association
Dr. med. Helga Eufemia Zeller-Stefan
Diabetes Praxis Essen, Camillo-Sitte-Platz 1, 45136 Essen, Germany,
Tel: 0201 1788892, Fax: 0201 1788957
Born in 1970 in Deva, Romania, graduated in 1995 the University of Medicine, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
She is Board certified specialist in Internal Medicine; Diabetologist DDG; Diabetologist AEKNO; Nutritional Medicine BFD.
During her career she was Resident Physician and Scientist, Diabetes Clinic, University for Medicine, Cluj- Napoca, Romania, Resident Physician and Scientist, German Diabetes Center, Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf,Resident Physician, Department of Internal Medicine/Diabetology, St. Josefshospital, Krefeld, Germany, Senior physician, Department of Internal Medicine/ Diabetology, St. Josefshospital, Krefeld, Germany, Diabetologic foot ambulance, Diabetes practice Dr. J. Hoß, Krefeld, Germany. From 2010, she is working in Diabetes Praxis Essen (Diabetes outpatient unit Essen) together with Dr. med. B. Schulze Schleppinghoff
The Outpatient Diabetes Unit
Dr. Benno Schulze-Schleppinghoff and Dr. Helga Zeller-Stefan have a long tradition in diabetes treatment and belongs to the largest diabetes units in North-Rhine Westfalia, Germany. Over 4.400 patients are treated there every year.
The Unit is specialized in modern treatments of type 2 diabetes, treatment of the diabetic foot syndrome as well as insulin pump therapy.
Both leading physicians have worked for many years at university hospitals in Düsseldorf, Germany and/or Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
You are not alone!
Be part of Our Community of Diabetic Neuropathy
Together we can make the difference!
It is estimated that diabetes mellitus affects 4% of Romania’s population. The epidemiological studies mention that one in three persons has as complication diabetes peripheral neuropathy. The specialized literature often calls the diabetic neuropathy, the forgotten complication of diabetes mellitus.
How many types of diabetic neuropathy are diagnosed? Informed healthcare professionals know that the diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy is difficult due to the lack of accepted standards for diagnosis. The prevalence of diabetic neuropathy and its social and economic implications require NeuroDiab – Society for Diabetic Neuropathy to be active in its study.
The SOCIETY for DIABETIC NEUROPATHY has as purpose to carry out medical, scientific, research and professional training activities in medical field, of edification, expansion of scientific material base for the development and study of diabetic neuropathy in Romania, of promotion and support the integration of Romania also medically in the European Union, as well as of providing medical services.
We, the members of NeuroDiab – Society for Diabetic Neuropathy, wish the persons with diabetes mellitus that are affected by diabetic neuropathy to know that we stand by them in the fight with this disease. We believe that it is important to build connections between all the members of this community (patient, family, diabetologist, neurologist, family physician, surgeon, psychologist, educator, etc) so that we can help each other through the exchange of experience and information.
Mission of Neurodiab - Society for Diabetic Neuropathy
- To increase awareness of diabetic neuropathy;
- To educate the public and healthcare providers;
- To support the patients in creating and developing a platform for information, education and exchange of experiences;
- To come alongside the legislation, governamental agencies and healthcare professionals to provide adequate coverage, care and treatment of patients with diabetic neuropathy;
- To encourage finding resources, research to understand the causes of diabetic neuropathy, development of more efficient therapies.
- Further development of medical knowledge and practice in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Social reintegration and regaining of personal dignity, of persons affected by diabetic neuropathy;
- Guidance by medical education programs of health professionals (doctors, nurses, psychologists) in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Proposals to competent bodies of legislative actions required for the development of medical activities in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Organizing of public actions in the country and abroad, of education, information and presentation of achievements in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Participation of the society and its members in public actions in the country and abroad in medical field;
- Supporting the medical graduates with training in diabetic neuropathy for access on labor market in state and private sector;
- Promotion of collaboration relationships with medicine faculties and universities, in the country and abroad in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Organizing of actions to promote the image and prestige on national and international level of medical activity of Romania;
- Development of international collaboration with similar organizations;
- Supporting the professional education by organizing initiation, qualification, requalification, post qualification and further training of professional qualification courses in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Professional development of training providers in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Monitoring the professional competence and professional further training of persons employed in medical activities of diabetic neuropathy, throughout the performance of the activity;
- Improving professional skills of teaching staff members, trainers and scientists in diabetic neuropathy field;
- Developing partnership networks and cooperation agreements with universities, medical practices, policlinics, public hospitals, research laboratories, regional, national and transnational research centers;
- Collaborations with legal persons, NGO-s and self-employed persons who want to support in any way the association, by exchange of information, publications, affiliation, etc;
- Promotion of actions having as purpose to finance the association (sponsorships from the country and abroad);
- Conducting business by way of self-funding;
- Providing medical services.
Working together we can:
- increase the awareness concerning diabetic neuropathy,
- ensure the provision of appropriate attendance
- promote the development of efficient therapies